Saturday, January 15, 2011

1st place? No way!

I ran a local 5k this morning and took 1st in my Age Group! WOOHOO!

It was a teeny tiny race with less than 100 people but it's still an AG!

The race started at 8am which was super early for me who has been on vacation for 3 weeks and been sleeping in until 11. =/ I woke up, had some oatmeal and headed out the door. The race was in a housing development...a very nice housing development, I might add and started just on the side of this beautiful little lake (pond?) in the development. Since it was my first small race, I was a little bit confused as to where to line up since there were no corrals, so I just lined up close to the finish line but not too close.

As soon as I started, I felt like I was going out too fast based on how quickly the guys in front of me went out so I slowed up a bit to a comfortable pace. I hit Mile 1 at 8:10 and Mile 2 at 16:30. When I rounded Mile 3, I started to feel the effects of running so fast but I didn't want to lose my pace so I kept up with it. Since every race I've run has been a longer distance, I've maintained a slower than normal pace throughout and sprinted out the finish but I knew I was definitely giving it my all when I saw the Finish Line and had almost nothing left to give. I picked it up as much as I could and ran through the Finish in 25:38!

I'm so excited about such an awesome start to the 2011 Race Season!

Sadly, I don't have any pictures because I forgot to give my camera to my boyfriend but nonetheless, it was a great race!

3 comments:

we {heart} comments!