Monday, September 20, 2010

Marathon Monday!

Sometimes you just have to let anger be the fuel for your run.

As I predicted, I did not get many of my training runs in last week. Out of what should have been a 32 mile week, I had a 16 mile week. And I am perfectly ok with this. I knew I wasn't going to have time. I needed to catch up on my school work and that took priority. So I did what I could. I ran 6 miles on Thursday and switched my plan 16-mile SLR (Sunday Long Run) for an easy 10 miles.

Here's where the anger kicks in. There's a guy who I've seen running in Central Park lately (on the pavement, in the bike and/or runner lanes, no less) who likes to run the park while kicking a soccer ball around. He also likes to kick it up right behind your feet and then just as it hits the back of your heels, he kicks it out from underneath you. Well, Sunday, I accidentally kicked his ball away and the asshole, if you'll excuse my language, had the nerve to go off on me! I was SO pissed and I was trying to shake it off and I just couldn't. I immediately resigned to the fact that this run was going to suck.


And then I realized that I was running fast. Faster than usual and I could feel the power in my legs and I could feel the anger just fueling me. I still wanted to shake things off but I kept running. And then I had a guy on a bicycle in the RUNNERS' LANE ring his stupid bell at me just as he was about to hit me. I got pissed. And I just kept letting things get to me and I let them fuel my run, but I turned the anger into positive fuel so I wasn't angry while I ran, I was just fueled. Does that make sense? And you know what? I went on a 10 mile run without any fuel (no GUs, Energy Blasts, etc.) and I think that's what did it for me. The best part? Lance Armstrong coming in my ears at the end of my workout to say that I've reached a new personal best for my fastest mile recorded on my Nike+. 8:05. And that felt awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I want to be this angry on all of my runs. To be honest, if I ever see soccer ball man again, I probably will punch him in the face, but it was an important lesson learned on how to transform that negative energy that had me thinking this was going to be an awful run, into positive energy. And that's what this blog (and marathon training) is all about, right? Lessons learned?

On that note, here's my training plan for the week:
Monday: Rest Day (although I was on my feet all day)
Tuesday: 5 mile run (this will be tricky to squeeze in)
Wednesday: Cross-Training (so will this)
Thursday: 1 mile Time Trial (may have to switch Tuesday and Thursday...)
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 4 miles
Sunday: 18 miles
Total Miles Planned: 28
*That doesn't seem right...may have to look at my schedule again...maybe the Time Trial is next week before the Half? We'll see!*
Anyway, this week will be tough again, but I will get all of my workouts in. I'm volunteering at the United Nations HQ in New York for the General Assembly/Millennium Development Goal Summit and I'm up at 4am every day this week to be at the UN. It's tough and I'm off to bed right now at the early hour of 8:30, but it's an awesome opportunity and I met 2 1/2 presidents today because of it! (Half because I only stood next to one of them and didn't converse with him (= )

Happy Running everyone!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very inspiring story to read, thanks for sharing more good thoughts. Nice blog too.



    zbsports

    ReplyDelete

we {heart} comments!